Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Metis Traditions

Bev Lambert came on Monday to teach us about Metis' various traditions.  She taught us numerous dances (duck dance, Metis Girl Dance, waltz, belt or sash dance, etc.).  The kids were exhausted but we continued to dance for almost the whole entire day.  We also learned how to make bannock.  We made it a bit differently than last time.  We fried it in oil and coated it with sugar.  The kids seemed to really like it both ways: biscuit style and basically like a donut.  We also learned a little bit about traditional houses, transportation, cultural respect, and costumes.  
Unfortunately my camera died and so I couldn't take any pictures.  However I did use my iphone to capture one picture of the girls in their amazing outfits.  The girls loved that the silver coins on their dresses made noise when they danced.


Stay tuned for more photos - I will be getting some from Mr. Bond

No comments: