Monday, November 4, 2013

Our Classroom in November

Every month I try to do a thorough clean of the kids desks, the shelves, and the things we are learning.  I came across this blog post about circulating toys and was inspired to do that in our classroom.  So the first step was to collect all of the toys they have and go through which are good toys and worth keeping and others that are dated.  Once I did that I sorted the toys in permanent toys for all year (ex: lego, certain favourite toys, etc.), social/emotional toys (pretending toys), gross motor skill toys (moving toys), and cognitive toys (thinking toys).  


 They then recommend boxing up the toys into bins that you circulate but my brain doesn't work that way.  So instead I took over an unused closet in our computer room and made it easily accessible to get my hands on every toy the students have.  I just put them in their certain categories.  I am happy with this outcome and I really feel the toys will be played with way more often and the students will be thrilled to see our old toys again like they are new!

 It was sad to take down all the cob webs and pumpkins but I am happy to clean off all the shelves and bring out some new things for the children to explore.
Our science nook has turned into a socials nook.  The students are learning about Canada with our new prep teacher.  I thought this would be a great time to bring out our things on Canada.

I also made our reading nook Canadian-themed.

Our classroom library displays have also been switched around.  I thought because I dressed up as Ms.Frizzle for Halloween it only seems right to have The Magic School Bus out on display.

I also put out library displays on Fancy Nancy and The Berenstain Bears.

No comments: