Thursday, April 26, 2012

Extreme Writing

I was a very busy bee yesterday.  I recently went to a conference in Whistler and I learned these amazing ways to inspire students to write.  We are starting our extreme writing unit next week and I am so excited. The prep work however is hours and hours of work so I hope that it is all worth it in the end.

The first thing I did was make the kids journals.  The journals are only 10 pages and are appropriate for each grade level.  For example, the Kindergarten have blank pages, the Grade 1 and 2's have interlined paper, and then the Grade 3s have lined paper.  The reason why they are only 10 pages is because the kids are going to feel successful with completing a whole book rather than using a multi-page book that never gets filled.  This year the kids will only receive two of these books but next year they will start in September doing these books and hopefully will get 5 volumes of their work.


Next, I created the journal topics that will inspire the kids to write.  This one is definitely my favourite.  The Peanut characters portray a variety of personalities.  The students will get into groups of 3 and pick at least 3 characters that they are most like.  They will glue them in one by one in their journals and discuss how they are similar to the Peanut character.  I was told growing up that I am very much like Lucy (I have two brothers) but I definitely see a little bit of myself in every character.


The next journal topic is each student having their own journal jar.  This one activity actually drove me crazy.  I cut out 30 pieces for each student (14 students) that means I cut out 420 little pieces of paper and then individually put them each into those paper bags!!!! Yes if this activity works I will say it was WORTH IT however if this one is a total flop I will cry. haha.  



This journal topic is called a picture write.  The kids will glue this picture into their journals and write about what they see.  I am hoping to get some really crazy stories out of this one.  I thought this picture was pretty amazing.
This is only three days worth of journal writing so stay tuned for the other two we will be doing next week.  Wish me luck! I hope to inspire these young minds to write, write, write.

No comments: