Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Rock Unit: Sedimentary Rocks!

Today we learned about Sedimentary Rocks.  We first wrote down how we think Sedimentary Rocks are formed.  I told them they can be creative as they like!  I figured we would get some more variety in answers.  I find the kids usually put a volcano if they don't know the answer so I was hoping for something different.  Most students did get the answer right but I just loved the quirky younger grades answers.

Here is the samples of Sedimentary Rock that the kids looked at today.  We passed them out after predictions.  I have a rock lamp made from Alablaster (the pink rock) so tomorrow the kids will get to see that lamp.  We will also be making a Sedimentary Snack tomorrow!

Here is a cute answer on how this rock is formed.  It came down from the moon!  He even made a track (aka slide) for the rocks to fall down onto.  How awesome is this answer! haha.

Seth is showing a great example of what I wanted the kids to do after predictions.  We read a book on Sedimentary Rocks then we inspected the different rocks.  They each chose their favourite rock and coloured the rock.  This rock had lots of layers!

No comments: